Genome Express Edition is intended for commercial usage as an entry level edition of Genome and is suitable for most projects. Genome Express is intended to allow developers to actually use Genome in several real projects in order to recognise its full potential and be able to weigh its benefits for own projects in the long term.
The license price per developer is € 299. There is no quantity discount.
Support for Genome Express is provided over our public newsgroup.
Genome Express provides the most commonly demanded features that fulfill requirements for the majority of projects in an entry-level price range.
Advanced features that are only available in Genome Professional edition are:
- Partial object population governed by custom definable property views. This feature can reduce payload of retrieved data, e.g. when having properties such as binary large objects which only need to be loaded on demand. In Genome Express, partial object population can be worked around in many cases by using 1:1 near object references to relate to the object state that should be lazy loaded.
- Automatic compilation of OQL queries into stored functions This feature is primarily intended for executing recursive OQL methods on the database server side. Stored functions can also improve performance since the database server pre-compiles them upon creation. Genome Express cannot execute recursive OQL queries.
- Pessimistic locking managed by an application server. This feature is for maintaining object level pessimistic locks using Genome Application Server. Genome Express still supports object level optimistic locks using rowversion fields in the database.
- Flexible object caching configuration per type and Context with different invalidation strategies. This feature is necessary for managing different kinds of caching stragies for a Context (such as LRU or time invalidation). Genome Express only supports the simple caching strategy holding all object state until the Context is disposed. This strategy is suitable for most short running request processing applications such as web applications or web services.
- Interaction between caches in a Context hierarchy. When instantiating several Contexts with different kind of caching stragies, the Contexts can be configured to interact with each other to implicitly retrieve state from a parent cache Context or write changes back into a parent cache Context. Genome Express can only switch between Contexts but not define implict interaction between them.
- WOP - Wire Object Protocol Wire Object Protocol simplifies and automates translation between DataDomain bound Genome objects and POCO data transfer objects that can be easily serialised e.g. to be used in web services. Genome Express does not provide any automated mechanism for this translation but still allows to manually code POCO objects population out of DataDomain bound Genome objects. Genome Express can be scaled up to Genome Professional easily anytime by an upgrade. Licensing for Genome Express follows the same rules as for Genome Professional Edition.
- Support for mutliple database platforms. By default, Genome Express supports all flavours of MS SQL Server 2000 and 2005, including SQL Server Express (except the Compact Edition), but does not currently support other platforms. Support can however be extended to other platforms upon request.